I now understand the 80-20 rule perfectly, thanks to the Hyderabad roads. My 20% of commute time covers the 80% of the route, and the rest 20% of distance takes 80% of the time. I would be driving along at 50 kmph, and suddenly a stretch would come that would force me to single digits. And I repeat this cycle till I reach my destination.
These days Hyderabad is under a deluge of incessant rainfalls. The Rain Gods seem to be benevolent, but the same cannot be said for the Gods of Hyderabad Roads and Infrastructure. Bangalore was under water for few days, the drainage system being the culprit. In Hyderabad the drainage is actually quite good, you would not find any waterlogging on most of the major streets few minutes after the rains abate. But the culprit is digging of the roads. Almost all major Hyderabad roads have a part that is either dug up, or some manhole is malfunctioning (and so water-logging), or being repaired. Generally the two lanes of any road are as same (or different?) as the faces of Aishwarya Rai and Om Puri – one lane is smooth, the other full of potholes.
Be it Madhapur, or Masab Tank, or Banjara Hills, or Lakdikapul – no road had been spared the wrath of Gods of Hyderabad Roads and Infrastructure. The worst road that I have encountered is the Durgam Cheruvu road. Yesterday evening I was stuck in the traffic jam there (thankfully the road has been made a one-way these days, and hence the traffic jams are not as massive as they used to be) and saw that a one-meter part of the road was under water, and surprisingly no motorists had ventured there. Now a part of road that is not filled by vehicles would ring danger bells in any sane mind especially in Hyderabad, but I can be exempted from the sane-mind assumption as I was returning after a day that resembled banging your head on one wall to break open the wall on the other side of the room. As I was going towards that one-meter opening in the road, I saw something black floating in water. I stopped, and seconds later a fully-grown buffalo emerged from the water – and no I am not kidding. People who have driven around Madhapur would know that buffaloes and cows are rulers of the roads here. After all in all office addresses “Madhapur village” is written as the area name.
The Durgam Cheruvu road is under construction, so a meter deep and a meter wide trench has been dug up through the length of the road, the rains have filled the trench and the trench has been overflowing, and yet there are no signs placed anywhere near showing the danger. There used to be logic of laying the railway tracks in summer (heat expands…), the telephone and electric wires in winter (same logic); is there any logic to repairing and constructing roads during rains? I am unable to find any reason…