Belief

For the past few days, I have been thinking a lot on beliefs and such things. Do I believe in God? Honestly I don’t know. For me idol-worship and keeping fasts and visiting religious places, these all things seem pretentious. Does one need to do all these things if one is a believer? But believer in what sense? I believe in myself.. I don’t believe in God. So am I a non-believer? I don’t think so. For me belief has always meant, believing in yourself. Believing in God, asking someone else for help – is it not a sign of weakness? I agree that if someone is there to help you, someone up above who is observing everything, who is there to get you out of the pits, who is always there – one feels so wonderful and comforted and safe. But is it not like remaining in your cocoon, waiting for everything to fall in place because you believe in God and he’ll put all wrong to right.

I don’t know whether God exists or not… Am I an atheist or a theist, I don’t know? Even I like to believe that someone is out there looking after everything, but is it a matter of choice? It is not like “Oh, ok.. So and so happened. So I’ll believe.. Or I will profess atheism”. What you believe and what you like to believe, they are two very different things. Believing in something because one just likes it, well that would be dealing a heavy blow to the whole belief-system.

But does everything have to be white and black? Is there not a gray area, for someone like me? I am usually at loss when someone asks me if I am an atheist? I’d love to answer that 70% of me is an atheist and the rest 30% believes in God. But to comprehend this answer the other person has to be as confused as I am… Next time this question is asked of me, I’ll just answer that I’m an agnostic…

Huh.. a pretty confused post from an even more confused guy!

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Belief”


  1. 1 sandeep October 21, 2005 at 4:01 pm

    arrey yaar..even i m confused..i goto temple but i m nt a believer of that..i think goin to temple is nt meaningful..its illogical..but still i go sometimes…so wt is my percentage..75-25 😦

  2. 2 Rakesh Kumar October 21, 2005 at 4:25 pm

    There is this song .. “Mano to main Ganga hoon, Na mano to Bahta Pani”.
    Yeah its all belief, if you believe than GOD is there… and that makes you an 100% Theist…
    The usual practices and rituals are just there for the peoples who want to do some business with the God … I’ll pray for so and so much of time and I expect you to give me this, this and this :)…

    well, have a lot of things in mind .. I’ll better blog it 🙂

  3. 3 Kunal October 21, 2005 at 4:29 pm

    @sandeep
    good to see i am not alone in the confused-people-arena .. 🙂

    @rakesh
    looking forward to your post..

  4. 4 pradeep October 21, 2005 at 10:54 pm

    abey tu sanyasi ban raha hain kya?

  5. 5 spindizy October 25, 2005 at 11:53 am

    I used to be 100% athiest, now I’d say my percentage is about 75-25, 75% believing. This number has changed all my life, and who knows what it will be when I die. You are far from alone in the confused people arena. Millions are confused. As am I.

  6. 6 Kunal October 25, 2005 at 12:09 pm

    @pradeep
    not yet dude.. 😀

    @spindizy
    interesting to note that from a total atheist you have become more of a believer..
    and good that i have company of many confused people.. 🙂

  7. 7 Sreejith October 25, 2005 at 12:14 pm

    Until we come up with reasons for all those unexplained things logic/reason will not be complete to answer all our questions. The day we can answer every why and every how we will not need a God. – my view 🙂

  8. 8 Kunal October 25, 2005 at 12:32 pm

    sreejith,
    again you are voicing my thoughts.. 🙂


Comments are currently closed.



Meet the Blogger…

I write! Topic does not matter, can be my life, or my travels, or any match I saw, or the Hyderabadi life, or reminiscing about Raipur, or penning Short Stories & 55s.

I can be contacted at kunalblogs[at]gmail[dot]com.

October 2005
S M T W T F S
« Sep   Nov »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

The 140 Chars

I write about …

Blog Stats

  • 406,667 hits

Ancient mumblings

Visitors


%d bloggers like this: